Wednesday, October 8, 2008

One on One


Tonight my husband is gone for the evening playing basketball with some friends as he is every Wednesday night, and while I was planning my menu for the day, I knew to take this detail into account. See, I've come to realize that late evenings alone without a plan are my downfall. Suddenly everything in the kitchen sounds heavenly and I have the ability to undo my entire day in one fell swoop. One moment of weakness. A second of "not caring anymore." Followed by the resulting guilt.

I think one of the most important things I've learned in the past few years about improving my health is to take the time to get to know myself. Find out when my resolve and willpower is strongest and of course, when it is less than stellar. 

This is my advice to you: Take some time, if you haven't already, to discover your strengths and weaknesses. If you have a tendency to talk yourself out of a good workout if you don't get it in first thing in the morning, do everything you can to make a plan to get it done in the morning. If you know you head for the vending machine every afternoon about 3 pm, pack some healthy snacks that can hold you over until dinner. If you know you don't get to the gym if you go home after work, pack your workout clothes the night before so you can head straight to the gym.

Take the time to notice your triggers and really listen to your body. We all have times our willpower falters -- no matter who you are. The trick is to not let those times keep you from success. Instead of the excuses, plan for your weakness and exploit your strengths. 

  

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay I'm way excited you updated! I recently found your blog and loved the home workout. Looking forward to seeing all you have to offer!
Ash