Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Start today

I'm a procrastinator. I openly admit it. I'm not quite sure why I put my huge deadlines off until the last minute -- I mean, I hate having that stress and apprehension hanging over my head -- but it seems like time after time, I put it off until I can't start any later. In college, I'd wait until the night before to even brainstorm an IDEA for my project, but somehow, I seemed to pull it off. Which of course, enabled the cycle to continue because I knew from experience that somehow I would be able to do whatever it took to get everything done.

Weight loss and fitness goals however, are different. They can't be accomplished overnight and it takes a lot of hard work and planning to make strides in that department. Trust me, I know. I've had times where I've really wanted to look fabulous for a special event or reunion and of course, I didn't start kicking my exercise routine into high gear until the week before. Those are times that I keenly remember my procrastination habit biting me in the butt. 
I've started to work on this bad habit of mine and I've really been making a constant effort to not rely on "tomorrow" to bail me out. Especially with my fitness goals, "tomorrow" never seems to come. 
Start your healthy fitness and eating habits TODAY! Why not? Why do you have to wait until Monday? Why do you have to start "tomorrow." Start at dinner tonight by adding some vegetables to that plate. Take a walk around the block after dinner.
Also, give yourself time to reach your goals and be realistic! The kind of weight loss you see on reality TV shows is most likely not going to happen (Did you see Biggest Loser last night??? 30 lbs. in one week! It's incredible!). Like I said, not realistic. Be kind to yourself and don't set yourself up for failure. Start today and be content with slow and steady progress. That's the best way to make sure the healthy changes you are making are going to stick.
So, let's conquer our procrastination monsters together and get started on the things we need to do TODAY.

"Procrastination is opportunity's assassin." ~Victor Kiam

1 comments:

carla said...

OK, MISSY :)

checking in.

did you start? are ya going?

all that...

MizFit